Each year I grow older, I feel the weight of society's expectations more and more. Get a degree, get a job, get a partner, get an apartment, be successful, be attractive, be thin, be fit, be confident, don't be arrogant, start a family, but also travel the world etc etc etc.
Life doesn't always work out the way you plan, and as someone who tends to over think things and have mild panic attacks when discussions surrounding one's future occurs, you need various coping mechanisms.
Here are my tried and true methods of coping, feel free to give them a go.
- There is nothing that clears my head more than a coffee and a chat with a friend who just gets me. Now it is important that you choose the right person. It can't be that girlfriend that diverts the conversation back to her life at every single chance (you just know she's not listening but rather waiting for her next chance to bring up her ex), it also can't be the mate who is super negative and blatantly doesn't get your life choices nor supports them and doesn't pretend to. (you need to get rid of this person BTW) Choose a person who lifts you up and makes you feel sunny and inspired. These people are keepers
- Soak in a hot soapy bath. Throw in lush bath bomb, not only do they smell divine but they are cruelty free and natural. Don't forget to bring a herbal tea in with you too, that way you feel warm and cosy, inside and out.
- I am a night worrier. I am pretty sure I got it from my mother (who I get late night freak out messages from) but I feel the weight of the world on my shoulders once I jump into bed and try to drift of to sleep. I lie in bed and THINK. Thinking leads to freaking out and freaking out turns to blind panic. The one think that has helped me every time for around 8 years is plugging into Hamish and Andy Podcasts. Seriously these guys make me so happy I fall asleep without a worry in the world most nights. If you're not into Hamish and Andy (how could you not they are amazing) explore the realm of Podcasts. You are bound to find something you like.
- Hop on Pinterest and make some pretty boards. It could be inspirational quotes that you can relate to, it could be art, fashion, cute animals ANYTHING really. Make a travel board and get dreaming about your next adventure.
- Exercise. Yes yes I know you have heard it a million times before but it works! Find what exercise you like and do it as much as you can. It could be swimming, netball, group classes at the gym ANYTHING that gets you sweating is going to make you feel amazing + instantly happier.
- Make friends with a dog. Seriously i'm that weirdo down at the beach patting everyone's puppy's. Nothing lifts my spirits more than a cuddle with a gorgeous pooch.
- Get lost in a good book. There is no better way to forget your troubles then to devour a novel. I love thrillers like The Woman In Cabin 10 By Ruth Ware and Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn but that's just me. Treat yourself to a new mag or check out your favourite blog. Whatever make you tick.
- Pop in your headphones and listen to some tunes. At the moment I am loving Pink + White by Frank Ocean and anything by Dope Lemon. Do yourself a favour and look them up!
Happy Weekend everyone, I hope its filled with tons of coffee, good food and good people <3
(Credit to artist) THINGS WILL WORK OUT by Matthew Taylor Wilson